bdpc and kwaiba school hosts drug education programme
The Substance Use and Drug Abuse Education in programme made it next stop at Kwaiba Hilltop Preparatory School in Tarkwa, Ghana. The programme started exactly at 7:30am with presentation by volunteers of Brain Power Development Centre and a purpose driven team to raise awareness about substance abuse. Present at the programme was the Director, Mr. Abekah and some staffs of the school who donated time and services towards the programme. Their inspiration and commitment brought the students together for a successful programme. Our drug campaigners addressed the students and gave them opportunity to ask questions pertaining to the theme? “the youth and substance abuse”. The education ended with The Truth About Drugs booklets, which resulted in the distribution of more than 100 copies of 13 booklets including marijuana, alcohol, painkiller etc. Our work would ultimately become a nationwide campaign, reaching youth of millions via radio stations, television screens, newspapers, magazines, and billboards on the corners of the country.
The audience where Junior High and Upper Primary students of the Kwaiba Hilltop Preparatory school, the school authorities and the media. Over 60 students and teachers received copies of The Truth About Drugs booklets.
The following Drug-Free World Materials were distributed
- The Truth About Drugs booklets – Over 100 copies
- The Truth About Alcohol booklets – Over 100 copies
- The Truth About Marijuana booklets – Over 100 copies
- The Truth About Painkiller booklets – Over 100 copies
- The Truth About Heroin booklets – Over 100 copies
- The Truth About Cocaine booklets – Over 100 copies
- The Truth About Crystal Meth – Over 100 copies
- The Truth About Prescription Drugs – Over 100 copies
- The Truth About Inhalants – Over 100 copies
- The Truth About Crack Cocaine – Over 100 copies
- The Truth About Ecstasy – Over 100 copies
- The Truth About LSD – Over 100 copies
- The Truth About Ritalin – Over 100 copies
- The Truth About Synthetic Drugs – Over 100 copies
We led a massive participation of Kwaiba Hilltop Preparatory School and hundreds of students. We fostered unlikely participation of teachers and counsellors. Together, we took our steps to increase awareness of various psychoactive drugs and alcohol. The Truth About Drugs package was awesome. The booklets were distributed to all the Junior High and Upper Primary students of Kwaiba Hilltop Preparatory School. The students now understand how drugs can ruin their lives. In addition to the excitement and knowledge associated with the students understanding the effects of drugs, the education added to the general body of knowledge concerning drugs. We expect an overall reduction in youth Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) use, reduction in drug experimentation, increased school attendance, fewer school dropouts, less fear, better school and community environments. In all, the Programme came to life with support from individuals and Kwaiba Hilltop Preparatory School.
The Head master expressed satisfaction after the programme and accepted it to be part of the school activities and providing us with the necessary support. “Think Smart, Don’t Start.”